Advice & Guidance for Remote & Online Teaching
Using online tools and technologies can seem daunting. This site provides several quick-start models for remote/online course elements, advice for special circumstances, and other important considerations.
This section contains pages on the following:
- Online Course Components - an overview of common course components, online versions, and tools you can use.
- Online Course Structures - a summary of the main models for remote and partially online courses at Caltech.
- Lab and Experiential Courses - a summary of the main approaches to remote lab and experiential course components at Caltech.
- Teaching to Students Outside the US - guidelines for teaching students residing outside the United States.
- Communicating Expectations - advice on helpful communication practices, within the instructional team and with students.
- Working with TAs - advice on working with one or more TAs when teaching using online tools.
- Assignments and Exams - guidance on assignments and exams using online tools, including low stakes assignments and quizzes, quantitative and coding, writing, and other kinds.
- Midterms and Finals - special considerations for cases in which midterm and final exams are done online/remotely.
- Accessibility and Inclusion - ideas for creating a welcoming remote class environment and making materials accessible to all students.
- Curated Links - articles and materials about remote/online teaching from other institutions and organizations.