Advice & Guidance for Remote & Online Teaching
Moving to remote teaching using online tools and technologies can seem daunting. This site provides several quick-start models for remote courses and those using online tools and approaches, advice for special circumstances, and other important considerations.
This section contains pages on the following:
- Moving Course Components Online - an overview of common course components, online versions, and tools you can use.
- Remote Course Structures - a summary of the main models for remote courses in use at Caltech.
- Lab and Experiential Courses - a summary of the main approaches to remote lab and experiential courses in use at Caltech.
- Communicating Expectations - advice on helpful communication practices for remote courses, within the instructional team and with students.
- Working with TAs - advice on working with one or more TAs in a remote course.
- Assignments and Exams - guidance on a variety of assignments and exams in remote formats, including low stakes assignments and quizzes, quantitative and coding, writing, and other kinds.
- Midterms and Finals - special considerations for remote midterm and final exams.
- Accessibility and Inclusion - information about creating a welcoming remote class environment and making materials accessible to all students.
- Curated Links - articles and materials about remote/online teaching from other institutions and organizations.