Teaching Continuity at Caltech
EVENTS AND HIGHLIGHTS
- Short overview video introducing Instructional Technology at Caltech
- Weekly Gradescope workshops - Thursdays at 9:00 AM PT
- New Gradescope workshops throughout February 2022 on various topics, such as Advanced Features
- Conversations on Inclusive Teaching - Helpful practices for teaching at Caltech
- Caltech Adaptable Teaching Series Videos - Advice for emergency-only remote/online teaching
- Caltech Canvas Training Series Videos - Getting the Most out of Canvas; Admin Training
- Caltech TA Support and Training Videos - Advice from experienced TAs
This website provides information on best practices, tips, available technology and tools, and how to get support for teaching and was last updated on March 18, 2022. The Center for Teaching, Learning, and Outreach site offers many additional resources including planning and teaching courses and inclusive teaching.
Resources for online teaching are available on this site for instructors who choose to teach remotely during the first week of the 2022 spring term, and if Caltech needs to return to remote teaching. New technologies implemented during the pandemic—such as Canvas, Gradescope, Piazza, Google Workspace, recording kits, Zoom for office hours—remain key tools for teaching and learning during in-person instruction.
Spring Term 2022:
As announced on April 21, 2022, Caltech will reinstate its requirement that high-quality masks (surgical, N95s, KN95s, or KF95s) be worn in all indoor locations on campus beginning on April 22, 2022. There is an exception for teaching. Instructors may elect to remove their masks indoors when all other individuals in the space are masked.
As announced on March 18, 2022, the Institute will return fully to in-person instruction for the spring term. Here are some highlights:
- Due to health risks from travel over spring break, instructors have the discretion to conduct the first week of instruction (March 28 - April 1, 2022) remotely. All classes are to resume in-person on Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Students who miss class should contact their instructors to access or make-up the material, as they would have prior to the pandemic.
- Recording classes is no longer required. If you wish to record your class for pedagogical reasons, like as a study tool, or a way for students who miss class to access the materials, consider:
- If you offer your course via synchronous dual delivery or hybrid, please be aware of the challenges of hybrid instruction. Outside of special emergency permissions granted during the pandemic, Caltech's accreditation is limited to in-person instruction.
Key dates for spring term:
- February 14: Instructors received access to spring Canvas courses. If you do not find expected course(s) under unpublished items in your Dashboard, please contact your option administrator and ask them to inform the Registrar's Office of your course assignments.
- March 21: Students can access published Canvas courses in which they are enrolled.
- March 28: Instruction begins.
- May 27: Last day of instruction for seniors and graduate students
- June 3: Last day of instruction for undergraduates (except seniors)
- See the complete spring term calendar
Read the full email sent to Spring 2022 instructors on February 14, 2022, available via Caltech login.
Learning Management System:
Caltech uses the Canvas Learning Management System as the central hub for course content. Instructors and TAs have access to training materials and official course shells (used for teaching) via their access.caltech.edu credentials.
If you are teaching with Canvas for the first time, we recommend: (1) viewing this 6-minute video that introduces the available technology, and (2) taking the "Getting Started with Canvas" course within Canvas, which includes many useful tutorial videos and answers to many commonly asked questions.
If you have questions or wish to consult about teaching, please email email@example.com to get started.
Email sent on February 14, 2022, to Spring 2022 instructors, available via Caltech login.
March 18, 2022, announcement with guidelines about spring term instruction.
March 31, 2022, reminder that the Institute returns to in-person instruction for the spring term.
April 2021, 2022, announcement on reinstating universal indoor masking on campus.
As announced on 12/22/2021, due to concerns about the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2, the first week of instruction in Caltech's Winter Term (January 3 - 7, 2022) was conducted remotely via Zoom. Classes resume in-person on Monday, January 10, 2022, following the guidance in this memo dated 01/07/2022.
This one-page Quick Reference Sheet about Winter 2022 teaching has bullet points and links related to course planning, Canvas, course reserves, recording support and instructional equipment, FERPA, security, permissions, and reusing/adapting past content. The second page also has a Getting Started tip sheet for instructors who may be teaching remotely or using Canvas for the first time.
An archive of updates for Winter 2022 faculty and instructors is available here via Caltech login.
Please find information about Fall 2021 instruction in this Institute communication sent on September 10, 2021, along with the detailed recommendations for Fall 2021 from the Committee on Reconstituting Campus Instruction and these FAQs about fall term instruction. Please find other Institute communications, including those sent to students, at the Caltech Together Coronavirus information website.
Please find an archive of information and updates for faculty and fall 2021 instructors here, available via Caltech login.
Please find information about Summer 2021 in this message to the Caltech Community, sent on May 5, 2021. For summer term courses, instructors were given access to their Canvas course shells on May 10, 2021, and published courses in Canvas will be open to enrolled students on June 7, 2021 (one week before the summer term begins).
Caltech's undergraduate academic program continued as a remote-learning program in the spring term of 2021. Instructors accessed their spring term course shells in Canvas starting Tuesday, February 16, 2021 and published courses in Canvas were open to enrolled students on Monday, March 22, 2021 (one week before the term began. Please find an archive of updates to spring 2021 instructors here, available via Caltech login.
During Winter 2021, instruction proceeded remotely, using primarily online tools and methods. Please find an archive of updates to winter 2021 instructors here, available via Caltech login. Please contact the CTLO with any questions about winter messages.