What is Perusall?
- Perusall is a free social learning platform for engaging students in reading and video assignments before class.
- The platform incorporates a unique ebook reader with collaborative annotation tools to ensure that students read more, come to class prepared, and are more engaged in the learning experience. Automated reports document where students struggle the most to understand course content, allowing instructors to specifically address these issues in class.
- Perusall works as an LTI tool in Canvas at Caltech. To activate Perusall in your Canvas course, go to course Settings (in the course navigation menu), choose the Navigation tab in settings, and move Perusall into your list of active course navigation items.
Notes - Canvas / Perusall Integration
- If you would like Perusall grades to translate back into your Canvas gradebook, here are a few important tips:
- When assigning work in Perusall from Canvas, make sure assignments in Canvas and Perusall have the same name and due date.
- Have students navigate to Perusall from your Canvas course and from the specific assignment.
- A Perusall assignment includes one document at a time (e.g., one article, one book or chapter); if you are assigning several sources for students to read, make a separate assignment for each one and scale points accordingly.
- Experiment with Perusall grading and how it will fit into your overall grading scheme, as Perusall has some default grades (0, 1, 2, 3) that may not be the same as the percentages you would normally use.
- Hear from Perusall co-founder Gary King on the impact of intrinsic motivation on student success
- How do I adopt a textbook using Perusall?
- How do I use video in Perusall?
- What types of files can be uploaded to Perusall?
- Getting started
- Try a demo
- Instructor stories
- NEW for Fall 2022 – Perusall Back to School webinars, held on several dates from July through early October. Whether you are new to Perusall or want to learn more advanced functions, find course descriptions, registration links, and recordings of past webinars here.
For Perusall support, visit https://support.perusall.com/hc/en-us